Wednesday, September 29, 2010

My McDonald's Part 2

     I always know that I am home, when the N (elevated) train is pulling into the last and final stop on Ditmars Blvd, and you see the Golden Arches of McDonald’s. When the train comes to a complete stop and the train doors open, then begins the rush of people getting off the train and running down the two flights of stairs to the street level, periodically moving to the side for pedestrians making their way up the stairs to board train. When you reach the bottom of the stairs, you are faced with floor to ceiling glass doors with gold m’s running across the middle. Outside the restaurant are groups of highschool kids in uniform, talking, laughing, singing, listening to there ipod's. They must go to the neighboring highschool, St.John's Prep, and stopped for a quick snack to eat before getting on the train. I walk toward the restaurant and I pull the heavy glass door open for me and the eight people who followed me in. I have now entered McDonalds.

     After entering the restaurant, I begin to walk up the aisle. The aisle is surrounded entirely by tables; to my left is a group of elderly gentlemen sitting together enjoying nice friendly chatter, steaming coffee and little delicious apple pies. I continue to walk and I begin to hear the sound of children laughing and playing in the distance. I approach the end of the aisle and go straight up to the cashier. She then asks me what I would like to order, and with no hesitation, I ask for the number two. The number two consists of two cheese burgers, fries, and a diet coke. She asks me if I would like my order to be supersized, and I say no. As I am waiting I begin to see happy little children coming into the restaurant with birthday presents. As I am following them with my eyes I realize the stairs to the basement of the restaurant are roped off with pink balloons, and the distant laughter that I had heard was coming from a little girl’s birthday in the party room downstairs. A few moments later the cashier tells me that my order is up. I take my brown paper bag, with big red McDonald’s logos on it, and my empty soda cup. I walk to the right hand side of the restaurant where they keep their soda dispensers. I fill up my soda, no ice beacuse it takes up to much room, dump out the extra soda fuzz, fasten the lid and I walk down the aisle to the exit. I push the big glass heavy door open and I head home.

No comments:

Post a Comment