Monday, October 11, 2010

The Melting Pot

     One of my favorite things about growing up in a very diverse and multicultural neighborhood is that you have so much knowledge, about different cultures, right at your fingertips.  From the moment I leave my house I am surrounded by different culture.  Sitting right at the top of my bock is a row of many different restaurants from any background that you can imagine.  My home town has really developed into a melting pot of culture all stirred up brewing in one little area.
     I live in Astoria, Queens, a neighborhood full of diversity.  The neighborhood first started up mainly as an Irish and Italian neighborhood, with a bakery and a pub located on every corner.  The neighborhood then changed to many Greek restaurants, and the pubs that once thrived there changed to cafes with tables on the sidewalk where you can sit outside with your friends and drink a cup of coffee.  With time a lot of Brazilian, Spanish and Asian families began moving into the area, and with them came great restaurant opportunities for the growing neighborhood.  Now Astoria is known for some of the best restaurants in New York City.  I cannot walk a block in my neighborhood without passing a Thai, Mexican, Italian or Greek restaurant.  There is a restaurant to match your every mood and craving.
     For my project and for the next few weeks I will visit the many different cultural establishments in Astoria.  Every week I will eat from a different cultural restaurant, try the dishes that they are famous for and write a blog about what I learned from the restaurant about the culture, where the restaurant is located,  how the food tasted and what, if anything,  I would recommend.  I thought of this idea while walking around my neighborhood this weekend and realizing how closed off I am to trying new and different things.  I look forward to this project and reporting my findings to you every week.  Now lets eat!! 

7 comments:

  1. Mary, I like your idea. You sound well prepared with this project and how you plan to visit all the restaurants and takes notes on the taste and quality. You have creativity, with this I speak about your title, "Melting Pot". It is very creative and it did catch my attention. This is going to be a good project because you do have something to talk about for the following weeksl; different restaurants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mary,
    I really think that this idea is great, especially because your eating food during the whole project. I also live in Astoria and live around many diverse and cultural restaurants. I have honestly only been to a few because I just haven't gotten the opportunity to go to new places. I just stick to the ones I already know or just eat at home. This will catch a readers attention because they will look at your blog to see what kinds of food to try and have knowledge about other cultures foods. I'm looking forward to reading your blog. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heyyy This Is COOOLLLL :) ... I feel that this is a great idea. This projects captures my attention and I am anxiously waiting to see the different foods you are trying and your experience about them.Isuggest when you visit these restaurant to take pictures of thenew foods that you are trying, and let your reader know the different smells. At the beginning of your post I felt very unclear about what you blog project was going to be about but at the end I feel that this can be a very successful project. Good Luck and try not to get food posioning :) !!!!
    -Michelle :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, I really am looking forward to doing this project. Michelle you are right I didnt talk about what my project was in the beginning of my post because I wanted to explain a little about my neighborhood and why I choose to do this project. I will try to include pictures and menu's from the restaurants so that if you like what you read you can go there and try it for yourself. Tina (Constance) my neighbor, you can come with me to do my research!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yea ... Im a big believer in trying new foods soo if you provide that info I will deff try it. Claps n Good Luck !!!!!!
    -Michelle (the Munchkin)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to come with you to do research and gain a few pounds. I agree with Michelle and I also like trying new foods, especially the foods that are good. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the support ladies!! It should be fun!

    ReplyDelete